Friday, January 4, 2008

This church building, at 40 South Washington Street in Boyertown, PA, was home to Trinity E.C. Church. My maternal grandmother's family went here. Her mother and her mother's mother joined together in 1905. My parents were married in this church in 1967.

In the late 1970s Trinity built a new building at 250 Sweinhart Road, Boyertown, and that's where the church is today.

After Trinity moved out, the building was bought by the Boyertown Church of God. Here's information from their website:

The K.B. Board, under the leadership of David Roemer from Jersey Shore, recommended the purchase of the church building at 40 Washington Street in 1979 at a cost of $49,000. The church was purchased and dedicated in October of 1979.

I remember going to church here with my grandmother. To the left in the photo there was an extension added behind the old building for Sunday School classrooms and a kitchen. I remember going along in the fall when they'd be preparing for a bazaar and making homemade soup and candy. The church smelled so good then!
It's a shame the building is looking a little shabby now. The white trim is peeling. My grandmother says the cornerstone from the building was removed and taken to the new church.
My grandmother says that Trinity built this building, but I don't know the year. I'm sure back at that time people lived in town and walked to church on Sunday, like my granmother did. There's almost no parking at all behind the church, and minimal on-street parking in front.

No comments: