Wednesday, January 2, 2008


Yesterday's photo was taken at the Welcome to Boyertown sign on South Reading Avenue in Boyertown, Pennsylvania.

Almost directly across the street is The Salvation Army of Boyertown.

Back when I was growing up, the building was home to the American Legion bowling alley. You can't see it in the photo, but behind the white storage box on the left in the distance is the Boyertown American Legion post.

In the late 1980s the building was very plain-a rectangle painted a bluish-gray. I don't recall it having any windows. I think the main entrance was around the corner on Walker Drive. I only remember parking at the back of the building-there was no driveway and parking lot like you see on the left in the photo-it was all grass. I went there a few times in high school with my girlfriends. It was walking distance, so it was something to do on a Friday or Saturday night.

I think this is the first place I ever went bowling. There were 4-6 of us girls who, never having touched a bowling ball before, decided we'd try it out. We were hopeless. There were probably a few dents on the floor after we left.

I do remember next to us was an old man (he reminded me of my great uncle who was a bowler, so he was probably in his 70s at the time) who didn't interfer with us, but was nice enough to show us how to hold a bowling ball (we were putting the wrong fingers in the holes!)

I think there were a couple old arcade games inside, and although teenagers who hung out there on weekend nights I think it was more a hangout for old men.

When the Legion sold the building sometime in the 1990s it became The Archer's Den-an indoor archery range. I never went in then.

According to The Salvation Army's website: A total rehabilitation was required and we were limited to keeping the building footprint the same because the building sits in a 100-year flood plain. Therefore, they spent much time changing and adding to the original design to make the facility functional. They moved into the building on December 18, 2000 and held the building dedication on April 21, 2001.

Before my time, in the 1940s and 1950s the lot was home to the community pool.

No comments: